The city of Chicago is being forced to comply with the constitutional rights of it’s citizens, and allow gun sales within the city. They have been given 180 to comply, and time will run out on July 14th. Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel today proposed new restrictions to replace the outright ban on gun sales.
The proposal includes the following prohibited places, and other restrictions on business engaging in gun sales:
- 72 hour waiting period on handgun sales
- 24 hour waiting period on rifle/shotgun sales
- All employees to undergo background checks
- All employees to be fingerprinted
- All employees to be trained on identifying gun trafficking.
- Store must have police approved gun/ammunition storage
- Store must have police approved exterior lighting
- Store must have police approved surveillance cameras/security system.
- Quarterly inventory audits
- All records available to police for inspection
- No sales within 500 feet of schools
- No sales within 500 feet of public parks
- Limit sales to one per month per person
- Require videotape of all purchases
While some of these proposed ordinances are fairly benign, others are obviously meant to deter business not crime. While keeping illegal guns off the streets of Chicago is a real problem, the city wants to keep gun out of the hands of the law abiding masses as well.
Surveying data of the city shows that 99.5% of the city is within 500 feet of a public park or school, leaving only 0.5% available for future firearms retailers. To further limit business owners, much of the 0.5% is not zoned for commercial use, all but banning gun sales. The city is sending a clear message, the courts have ruled, but we don’t want legal guns sold in our city.
Illinois State Rifle Association has made it known that a lawsuit and further legal battle with the City of Chicago is a real possibility. A vote on the proposed restrictions on gun sales has yet to be scheduled.
Chicago’s been limiting the rights of the citizens for years, ordinance by ordinance they are falling. The fight for freedom is never easy whether that fight is on foreign soil, or here at home.